"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Friday, March 27, 2009

Irenaeus on the relationship of the Church to the gospel


"While the Church is scattered throughout all the world, and the pillar and ground of the Church is the Gospel and the spirit of life"


Ireneaus of Lyons - Against Heresies 3.11.8 (c. 180 AD) –



[Irenaeus probably didn't know to check with the Pope to see that actually the Roman Catholic position was that the church was the pillar of the gospel, so perhaps he can be excused. Everyone makes mistakes]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he's thinking about that mistake as the pope probably added another 6 million years of purgatory for him.

A said...

Ouch Jared. That sounded more like a Calvin quote than St. Irenaeus, you're making me question my ecclesiology - the only part of Christianity I thought I understood. Why couldn't you have told me this last year heh.