"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Friday, August 08, 2008

1054: The Great Schism and the Reformation


I've been making my way through the works of Jaroslav Pelikan on the History of Doctrine, in his series, "The Christian Tradition." Volume 2 is all about Eastern Christendom and it's independent development in doctrine. I really knew nothing about some of the issues Eastern Christians dealt with in regards to the debate over Christ's will (did He have one or two) and icons. A selection stood out to me as I have been asking this question while reading the book: Would the Reformation have happened if Rome had not made a power grab in insisting on Papal Supremecy? Pelikan gave this answer (actually quoting heavily from Zernov):


"The Schism between Eastern and Western Christians is one of the greatest calamities in the history of the Church. On the one hand, it seriously underminded the Christian East to the advance of Islam, and on the other hand, it hastened the centralization of Western Christendom, which resulted in many abuses and provoked widspread discontent, so that the Reformation itself, which split the West into two hostile camps, was one of its consequences." (Christian Tradition Vol 2, pg 147)

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Cool, I wish I had time to read these books!

Matthew Bradley said...

I used vol 1 for an independent study course on catechesis in the early church. I was perusing my shelves the other day and saw it and remembered that I meant to order the rest of the series, so I did. They arrived Friday. Can't wait to dive in!