"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Hymn: My Eternal King


Something the PCPC Choir sang on the trip:


“My Eternal King”
from 17th Century Latin
Translated by Rev. Edward Caswall


My God, I love Thee;
not because I hope for heav’n thereby,
Nor yet because who love Thee not
Must die eternally.

Thou, O my Jesus, Thou didst me
Upon the cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails, the nails and spear,
And manifold disgrace.

Why, then why, O blessed Jesus Christ,
Should I not love Thee well?
Not for the hope of winning heav’n,
Or of escaping hell;

Not with the hope of gaining aught,
Not seeking a reward;
But as Thyself hast loved me,
O ever-loving Lord!

E’en so I love Thee, and will love,
And in Thy praise will sing;
Solely because Thou art my God,
And my Eternal King.

1 comment: