"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Interesting Quote

Dear Sir-

The wishes expressed, in your last favor, that I may continue in life and health until I become a Calvinist, at least in his exclamation of `mon Dieu! jusque à quand'! would make me immortal. I can never join Calvin in addressing his god. He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be; or rather his religion was Dæmonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did. The being described in his 5 points is not the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore, the Creator and benevolent governor of the world; but a dæmon of malignant spirit. It would be more pardonable to believe in no god at all, than to blaspheme him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin.

- Thomas Jefferson responding to John Adams' appeal to become a Calvinist.

HT: Riddleblog

1 comment:

Matthew Bradley said...

Great quote, Jared. BTW, I used the hymn you posted by Evans in my Thanksgiving homily last night. Thanks for posting!