"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hymn: Thy Mercy, My God


Thy Mercy, My God
by John Stocker

Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart. and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections, and bound my soul fast.

Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here;
Sin would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me still keeps me alive.

Whene'er I mistake, Thy kind mercy begins
To melt me, and then I can mourn for my sins;
And, led by Thy Spirit to Jesus's blood,
My sorrows are dired and my strength is renew'd

Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I’ve found.

Thy mercy is endless, most tender and free;
No sinner need doubt, since 'tis given to me;
No merit will buy it, nor sin stop its course;
Good works are the fruits of its freeness and force.

The doors of Thy mercy are open all day
To the poor and the needy who knock by the way;
But those that bring cash in the mouth of their sack;
The rich and the proud, shall be empty sent back.

Dear Father, Thy merciful word I my all;
Thy promise supports me when ready to fall;
When enemies crowd, to cause doubt and despair,
I conquer them all by the spirit of prayer.

Thy mercy, in Jesus, exempts me from hell;
Of Thy mercy I'll sing, of Thy mercy I'll tell;
'Twas Jesus, my Friend, when He hung on the tree,
That open'd the channel of mercy for me.

Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I posted the doxological verse on Facebook a few moments ago and have shared the entry on Facebook as well. I've listened to the Sandra McCracken recording at least ten times this morning as I did some blogging of my own. Thanks.

Greg Householter said...

where is that painting from that's at the top of this post? (not the main picture for the site.) the one entitled "The One Who Showed Mercy". I really like it and have friends who do similar work, so do you know?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I only knew of the verses Caedmons Call recorded.
Christine R, Hunter Valley, Australia

Larsen Ullrich said...

So beautifully written. These words made me weep for realization of a life I do not live. Oh we are all just beggars!