"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - Jerome

Monday, January 19, 2009

Letter from a Birmingham Jail


I have traveled the length and breadth of Alabama, Mississippi and all the other southern states. On sweltering summer days and crisp autumn mornings I have looked at the South's beautiful churches with their lofty spires pointing heavenward. I have beheld the impressive outlines of her massive religious education buildings. Over and over I have found myself asking: "What kind of people worship here? Who is their God? Where were their voices when the lips of Governor Barnett dripped with words of interposition and nullification? Where were they when Governor Wallace gave a clarion call for defiance and hatred? Where were their voices of support when bruised and weary Negro men and women decided to rise from the dark dungeons of complacency to the bright hills of creative protest?"
Yes, these questions are still in my mind. In deep disappointment I have wept over the laxity of the church. But be assured that my tears have been tears of love. There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love. Yes, I love the church. How could I do otherwise?


Read it all here, and have a happy MLK day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the deepest, most moving posts, no THE deepest most moving post on the net for MLK day. We speak of the Holy Spirit communicating and convicting, Where was He?